©Philipp Arnoldt Photography
General Theme of the SEFI 2021
Blended Learning in Engineering Education: challenging, enlightening – and lasting?
We would like to invite you to attend the 49th Annual Conference of the European Society for Engineering Education (SEFI) to be held on 13-16 September 2021 in Berlin.
The year 2020 has challenged universities worldwide in an unprecedented way. On short notice, universities had to switch from on-site classroom teaching to online teaching f formats. We all realize that this extensive online teaching will have a sustainable impact on the way we teach and learn. The conference will focus on the implications of this very special experience on Engineering Education in Europe and worldwide.
Important dates SEFI2021
extended until 04 May 2021
30 April 2021
Full paper submission
04 May 2021
Short Paper submission
22 June 2021
Notification of final acceptance
08 July 2021
Early Bird registration
03 August 2021
Final paper submission
13-16 September 2021
SEFI2020 annual conference
CONFERENCE TRACKS INCLUDE (but are not limited to):
• Essential elements for the online learning success
• Lab courses and projects blended and online
• Secure and appropriate forms of online assessments
• Data security and technological developments
• Rules and ethical questions of online teaching and learning
• Resilient curricula and teaching methodology
• Competence development for engineering professions
• Sustainable changes beyond covid-19
• Social aspects and communication in online learning
• Accessibility, participation and inclusion
• Impact of online teaching on student mobility
• Cooperation between universities (Europe, worldwide) in EE: concepts and experiences
• Impact on the campus and its facilities
• Academic teachers needs and support for online teaching
• On-line student counseling
and contributions on more general topics are also welcomed, such as:
- Engineering education research
- Continuing education and lifelong learning
- Open and online education
- Gender and diversity
- Curriculum development
- Engineering skills
- Capacity building
At SEFI 2021, you can submit four different types of proposals:
=> Research paper, presenting original research following the standard practices for engineering education research. Abstract length: max. 250 words. The final length of the research paper is 6-8 p (excl references).
=> Concept paper, presenting ongoing projects and completed studies of practice in
engineering education. Abstract length: max. 250 words. The final length of the concept
paper is 6-8 p (excl references).
=> Short paper, a shortened version of a concept or research paper. Abstract length: max.
250 words. The final length of the short paper is 3-4 p (excl references).
=> Workshop: an engaging and interactive session with a sound theoretical foundation and
an attractive translation to the practice of engineering education. Abstract length: max. 500 words.
In the submission process, you can state a preference for your presentation.